About Allan N. MacLean
Mr. MacLean concentrates on employment law and civil litigation. Prior to founding MacLean Employment Law, P.C., he practiced for approximately 12 years at one of the largest national law firms in the country where he represented employers of all sizes and across all industries with an exclusive focus on workplace law. Before entering private practice, he also clerked for the Justices of the Superior Court in Massachusetts.
He now counsels and represents both individuals and employers regarding the full range of employment matters, including leaves of absence, compensation issues, terminations, and harassment and discrimination claims. He also assists clients in the preparation and analysis of "non-compete" agreements, and litigation relating thereto. In addition, he conducts workplace investigations for organizations.
Mr. MacLean regularly represents clients in employment-related suits in federal and state courts, and before several administrative agencies, including the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination (MCAD), the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), and the Department of Labor. He is admitted to practice in Massachusetts, the United States District Court, District of Massachusetts, and the United States Court of Appeals, First Circuit.
He has been recognized for several years as a “Rising Star” in Labor and Employment by Super Lawyers since 2009. He graduated from Boston University School of Law in 2005, cum laude, and from College of the Holy Cross in 1999. He is also a member of the Boston Bar Association (BBA) and the Massachusetts Bar Association (MBA). Prior to getting his law degree, he worked at a school that provides essential services to children with multiple disabilities. He has a continued interest in serving individuals with disabilities and non-profit organizations, and has served on multiple human rights committees with local disability service organizations.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of national hospitality client in Massachusetts Superior Court on hotly disputed race discrimination claim.
- Reviewed separation agreements and counseled multiple employees in connection with their termination from employment.
- Conducted investigation regarding workplace practices at manufacturing facility in light of claims of discrimination.
- Represented senior executive and negotiated favorable severance package.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of facility maintenance company in federal court on discrimination and retaliation claims.
- Counseled whistleblower in connection with filing of complaint and ensuing investigation in order to protect against retaliation.
- Obtained dismissal of a disability discrimination claim at the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination (MCAD) for non-profit organization.
- Prepared non-compete agreement for employer in light of changes in applicable Massachusetts law.
- Counseled retail executive regarding implications of non-competition agreement while he pursued a job search.
- Provided guidance to multiple employers regarding reductions in force, and prepared separation agreements in connection with lay-offs.
- Prepared employee handbooks and updated policies compliant with new/developing laws for multiple organizations.
- Conducted audit for non-profit organization in order to avoid potential claims related to misclassification of employees.
- Negotiated six-figure settlement for client as a result of harassing and discriminatory treatment at work.
- Obtained dismissal of age and disability discrimination claim at Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination (MCAD).
- Successfully argued appellate case before Massachusetts Appeals Court, resulting in affirmation of favorable summary judgment decision for client in race discrimination case.
- Assisted health care services company in obtaining favorable resolution of potential class action unpaid wages lawsuit without incurring mandatory punitive damages.
- Part of litigation team that successfully obtained a Temporary Restraining Order (TRO) on behalf of client in federal court against former employee, who had taken client’s confidential information.
- Part of trial team that successfully defended Real Estate Investment Trust by obtaining dismissal of a whistleblower claim pursuant to Sarbanes Oxley.
- Counseled multiple doctors planning to join practice groups regarding the terms of proposed contractual agreements.
- Assisted individual forming start-up company in navigating restrictions of non-competition agreement with former employer.
- Part of litigation team that favorably resolved dispute on behalf of staffing company whose employees were being raided by a competitor.
About Sowmya Sampige
Sowmya Sampige received her bachelor's degree from Symbiosis Law College, Pune India. She then specialized in her expertise with diplomas in Business/Corporate Law and Cyber Law. After working as a case researcher and drafting contracts for companies focusing on business law, she then moved onto formulating and executing Software Development Agreements, Joint Development Agreements, Service Agreements, and Franchise Agreements in an IT company setting. In her last professional position, she spent ten years working as an Immigration Specialist in Collierville, TN and in Woburn, MA, helping finalize various aspects of employment immigration such as H1B, H4, and Green Cards. After taking a short sabbatical from work she has now joined us as a Legal Assistant. She comes with over 12 plus years of experience in corporate law, immigration processes, and liaison with various legal teams to ensure compliance as well as process improvement. In her free time, Sowmya likes to spend time with her family, travel, groove to music, read books and watch movies.